The joys of VS 2005

This is the general comments forum for the SOI.

Moderators: Randolph, Delano

Flash
Disciple

The joys of VS 2005

Post by Flash »

Right so it has come to pass that MS is beginning to end its usefulness - and it's "More productive" answer to developers - Visual Studio 2005 *queue ominous music*

After migrating a 2003 multi-project solution spanning 2 development languages to VS 2005 – We (the development team here) were amazed and guffawed at the shiny new features and additions to our lives. And it came to pass that there were errors and bugs – as always “Error between keyboard and chair” was not the case, for we are developers and users know us as Gods *evil grin*. I have spent the last week almost attempting to ratify and obtain hot fixes for Microsoft’s blatant errors and bug’s in THEIR Dev Environment – To very little avail.

The first I attempted to over come of these 3 problems was a slight problem with the .PDB files created by both VS 2003 and 2005 – Speed on debugging and opening solutions was getting a rather pain in the backside as noted here – Simple enough to fix going into the registry to sort out – WHY though could MS not fix this problem before release – and to be honest there are no REAL speed improvements that I have noticed, but hey they have us by the short and curly's.

Ironically the next “bug” I tackled was directly related to “slow performance when you work with a Visual Basic solution that contains many projects in Visual Studio 2005” noted here – Same fix as above, funny that…

The 2nd most annoying one that THANKFULLY someone on the MsWebDev Mailing list had the hot fix for was with VS Crashing due to the VBC having a hernia because it ACTUALLY had to do some work for once – noted here – If Ian Smallwood never had the fix it would have cost £69 to “buy” the hot fix for a problem MS has admitted to having in THEIR SOFTWARE! WTF?!?! WE PAY FOR THEIR MISTAKE – NO F’ing WAY! Just another reason notched up to me moving from MS development and doing decent languages grrrrrrrrrrrrr…

The last and most annoying BUG and it a confirmed bug by MS and several hundred (I gave up searching through all the results on google and the MS forums – Is one of migration from VS 2003 – VS 2005 and the form designer… O the joys and time WASTED having to restart VS rebuild, clean and THEN ONLY be able to open a form in design view – just to move a few controls around no less. Utter bollocks if you ask me – 3 – 8 minutes to open the solution, 2 – 5 minutes to clean and the same again to rebuild… Multiply that up a few dozen or so times a day and your actual work day is sliced and diced to shreds – No hot fix can be “downloaded” from MS unless you either a) have a service plan or b) wait for SP1 (according to Microsoft Connect it is due for release in the week of 25/09/2006) which is only beta – Who knows what additional bugs it could introduce or what other wonderful JOYS and stresses we are to endure – It makes me mad knowing that they know there is a fix, yet make our lives counter productive to make some additional cash.

Flaming over for now I suppose – Until another “FIX” as MS calls them to find out a “purchase” is needed to acquire it… Anyone else have any "FUN WTF with VS and/or MS products?
Flash
Disciple

Post by Flash »

So all the griping has been for something after all :) - MS accepted me into the SP 1 Beta Program - not that I feel special or anything, but at least these annoyances will get resolved

ALL HAIL CARBON!